3 pounds of bass (or sole or salmon)
1 pound of sorrel
some sweet butter
3 shallots, minced
1/2 cup of white vermouth
1/2 cup of fish stock
1/2 cup of cream
- Cut the filets (about 12 strips, 4 ounces each).
- Wash the sorrel, remove the stems and julienne.
- Preheat the oven to 500°F.
- Take an ovenproof platter, butter it, sprinkle the mixed shallots at the bottom.
- Arrange filets on top.
- Pour the vermouth, fish stock, and add half the sorrel.
- Cover with buttered foil.
- Bring to a boil on top of the stove and put in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Transfer fish to a warm platter.
- Reserve the liquid.
- In a saucepan, heat 1/2 teaspoon of butter and sauté the remaining sorrel.
- Strain the reserved liquid over it.
- Add cream and reduce until thickened.
- Season, place strip of fish on plate and nap with sorrel sauce.
- With addition of butter, this could become a white butter sauce.