The term “velouté” indicates that the base for the soup is a béchamel sauce. Sometimes a “liaison” – a mixture of an egg yolk and some cream – is added as well.
6 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 large onion, chopped
2 cups of chicken broth
3 Tbsp of butter
2 Tbsp of flour
pinch of curry, salt and pepper
- In a medium saucepan, brown the onion in 1 Tbsp of butter.
- Add the carrots and the curry.
- Cover with the chicken stock, cook until tender (about 15 to 20 minutes).
- Drain the carrots and purée in the food processor.
- Reserve the liquid.
In another saucepan make the béchamel:
- On low heat, melt the remaining 2 Tbsp of butter and add the flour.
- Mix well.
- Slowly add the reserved liquid and bring to a boil.
- Add the puréed carrots and season to taste.