From the Ann Howard Cookery.
6 large celery ribs
2 medium yellow onions peeled and halved lengthwise
2 Tbsp butter
2 tsp curry, salt and pepper
1 quart of beef stock
2 cups of light cream
- With metal disc, slice the celery and the onions.
- Sauté in melted butter until slightly brown
- Stir in curry powder and let mellow.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Put in the beef stock and simmer 40 minutes.
- Strain the vegetables and purée with the steel blade (add a bit of the liquid).
- Put in a soup pot and allow to come to a boil.
- Add the cream.
- Bring to serving temperature without boiling.
This is a salad made with different vegetables, raw or cooked, each kept separate, but served together in the same dish. You can include:
Asparagus tips, artichoke hearts or green beans – cooked and sprinkled with a vinaigrette to which you have added pepper, some finely chopped shallots, tarragon, and a little garlic and parsley.
Raw Savoy cabbage or red cabbage – sliced thin and sprinkled with the above dressing.
Sticks of celery – remove all the strings and serve raw, sprinkle with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Raw button mushrooms – finely sliced and sprinkle with lemon juice. Dress with heavy cream flavored with mustard and seasoned with salt and pepper.
Cucumbers – marinated with vinegar and salt, drained. Dress with sour cream and fresh dill.
Roast 1 or 2 cups of walnuts in a 400°F oven for 8 minutes. Chop coarsely and sprinkle in the various dressings