Serve 6 to 8 people.
1/4 cup of butter
1 onion, chopped
1 small head of celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped fine
1/4 cup of flour
2/3 cup of milk and 4 ¼ cups of stock
salt and pepper
1 oz of Roquefort cheese
4 Tbsp of cream
8 small slices of French bread, lightly toasted
- Melt three-quarters of the butter in a large pan and sweat the vegetables over a gentle heat for 10 minutes.
- When all the vegetables are soft, remove from the heat and add the flour.
- Return the pan to the heat and cook for 2 or 3 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Add the milk, stock, salt and pepper and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Crush the cheese with a fork and mix with the rest of the butter.
- Remove the soup from the heat and whisk in the cheese/butter mixture together with the cream.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Place the bread in a warm tureen or in individual soup bowls and pour the soup over.
- Serve at once.