From Cooking Light magazine. A cool, crisp salad adds crunch and contrast to the menu. You can also use dried cranberries and walnuts.
3/4 cup sliced celery
1/3 cup of dried sweet cherries
1/3 cup of frozen green peas, thawed
4 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1-1/2 Tbsp of fat free mayonnaise
1-1/2 Tbsp of plain low-fat yogurt
1 Tbsp chopped pecans, toasted
1-1/1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
Combine all ingredients, chill. Yield, 2 servings; serving size about 2/3 cup.
From Ruth Wessels.
Can be made several days ahead (without the cheese on top) and frozen after cooking. Then return the casserole to the oven, to reheat 30 minutes. Spread the cheese and brown just before serving.
1 potato, diced
1 medium zucchini, unpeeled and diced
1 medium eggplant, unpeeled and diced
2 green peppers, diced
2 small carrots, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1 inch strips
1 Bermuda onion, coarsely chopped
1 cup of shelled fresh peas
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
1/3 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp Tabasco (or soy) sauce
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
5 large tomatoes, sliced
1/3 cup raw rice
1/2 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Combine potatoes, zucchini, eggplant, green peppers, onion, carrots, peas, and parsley with 1/3 cup of olive oil, salt, Tabasco, and pepper.
- Line an oiled 9 x11 inch (deep) baking dish with half of the vegetable mixture.
- Layer with half the tomato slices, sprinkle with rice, and add the other half of the vegetable mixture.
- Top with remaining tomato slices.
- Mix the remaining 1/2 cup olive oil with vinegar and pour over casserole.
- Bake, covered at 350°F for 1-3/4 hours.
- Sprinkle with cheese and place under broiler until cheese is melted.
2 Tbsp olive oil
6 carrots sliced
2 packages of tender tiny peas
1 clove of garlic and some chopped parsley
- Brown onions in 2 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Add the sliced carrots and cook until tender.
- Add the defrosted peas, the garlic and parsley and a few leaves of lettuce.
- Cook gently, covered, for about 10 minutes.
Serves 4 to 6 people.
1 package of frozen artichoke hearts
1 package of frozen peas
1 package of fresh mushrooms
4 large carrots
1 large onion
1 handful of string beans
1/2 c pancetta (petit salé), cooked
1 Cup of chicken broth
Salt and pepper
- Dice zucchini, mushrooms, carrots, onion, and string beans.
- Leave artichokes and peas whole.
- Place vegetables into an earthenware or ceramic dish, mixing them with olive oil, chicken broth, and pancetta.
- Season to taste.
- Cook covered for one hour at 350F and another hour at 325F (uncovered to reduce liquid if necessary).