4 Tbsp of sweet butter + 1 tsp to coat the mold
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
3 scallions, sliced thin
1 head of escarole trimmed of some green leafy part (about 5 cups)
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup of water
4 Tbsp of flour
1 cup of milk
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 cup of grated Cheddar cheese (strips optional)
3 egg yolks
7 egg whites
- Butter 1 1/2 quart soufflé mold and add the parmesan cheese. Coat the mold and refrigerate. Reserve the parmesan not needed in the coating.
- Slice the trimmed escarole coarsely
- Melt 1 Tbsp of butter in a saucepan and sauté the sliced scallions until just tender.
- Add the escarole, salt and water. Cook on high for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and continue cooking for a few minutes until all liquid has evaporated.
- Make a béchamel sauce with the remaining butter, flour and milk.
- Add the yolks, mix well. Add salad mixture, Worcestershire sauce and the grated cheddar cheese
- Whip the whites until they form a peak
- Fold in the escarole mixture gently
- Fill the mold to the edges. At this point the soufflé can be refrigerated for a couple of hours.
- At baking time sprinkle the reserved parmesan cheese and place the soufflé on a cookie sheet in a 375°F preheated oven.
- Reduce heat to 350°F and bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
- 5 minutes before the soufflé is done you can arrange the strips in a decorative pattern on top.