The tâtre is like a large pizza covered with onions and fromage blanc, which is a no fat fresh cheese. A substitute can be made by combining 1/2 cup of yogurt with 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese then allowing the mixture to rest in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
For pie crust instructions, please see the Pâte brisée recipe.
5 to 6 large onions, sliced
2 Tbsp oil
1/2 cup of fromage blanc (see above)
1/2 cup of heavy cream
salt, pepper and fresh nutmeg
- Cook the onions slowly in the oil in a large skillet until softened.
- Reheat oven to 350°F
- Beat the eggs thoroughly into the fromage blanc and the cream.
- Season with salt, pepper and the nutmeg.
- Pour into the cooled dough (it works best to put most of the onions first then slowly add the liquid part of the filling as the pizza starts cooking).
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until the crust is browned.
- Eat while hot.