From The Healing Kitchen, by Alaena Haber and Sarah Ballantyne.
2 ounces crunchy apple chips (about 1 cup)
1 cup of dried Turkish figs
2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp of ginger powder
- Place all the ingredients in a food process or high powered blender and blend until all the pieces are of a small, consistent size, and they cling together with the coconut oil.
- Form 8-10 compact balls (I use a tablespoon for consistently-sized scoops) and roll between your palms until rounded and firm.
- Enjoy immediately or chill in the refrigerator before serving to set the coconut oil.
For 2 galettes
3 cups of all purpose flour
2 1/2 sticks of sweet butter, softened
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1/4 tsp of salt
1 egg & 1 egg yolk beaten
- Combine the ingredients in a bowl and work until it holds together.
- Place on the table and smear the mixture with the palm of your hand a few times (fraiser).
- Divide into 2 pieces.
- Reserve one piece and roll the other into a 14 inch round about 1/4 inch thick.
- Put into a cookie sheet or a mold for better support.
- Fold the dough to make a border about 1/2 inch high (thicker at the base for preventing
- border from collapsing during cooking).
- Place in preheated 400° oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
- For a different desert cook the shell entirely for about 25 minutes and fill with crème patissière and top with fresh berries.
1/2 cup of sugar
2/3 cup of lemon juice (strained) and peel of 1 lemon
1/2 cup of melted butter
1/2 cup of sliced almonds
- Beat eggs and sugar until light yellow.
- Stir in lemon peel and the lemon juice.
- Add the melted butter.
- Pour the mixture into the pre-baked pie shell.
- Sprinkle the almonds on top.
- Cook in a 350°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
Peeled and skinned lemon sections may be placed on curd before it is baked. Or after the pie is baked, meringue may be piped on top and cooked at 400°F for 6 minutes:
6 egg whites
cream of tartar
3 Tbsp of sugar
- Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Add the 3 Tbsp of sugar and continue beating until stiff.