From Ruth Wessels.
Can be made several days ahead (without the cheese on top) and frozen after cooking. Then return the casserole to the oven, to reheat 30 minutes. Spread the cheese and brown just before serving.
1 potato, diced
1 medium zucchini, unpeeled and diced
1 medium eggplant, unpeeled and diced
2 green peppers, diced
2 small carrots, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1 inch strips
1 Bermuda onion, coarsely chopped
1 cup of shelled fresh peas
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
1/3 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp Tabasco (or soy) sauce
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
5 large tomatoes, sliced
1/3 cup raw rice
1/2 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Combine potatoes, zucchini, eggplant, green peppers, onion, carrots, peas, and parsley with 1/3 cup of olive oil, salt, Tabasco, and pepper.
- Line an oiled 9 x11 inch (deep) baking dish with half of the vegetable mixture.
- Layer with half the tomato slices, sprinkle with rice, and add the other half of the vegetable mixture.
- Top with remaining tomato slices.
- Mix the remaining 1/2 cup olive oil with vinegar and pour over casserole.
- Bake, covered at 350°F for 1-3/4 hours.
- Sprinkle with cheese and place under broiler until cheese is melted.