3-1/2 lbs shoulder of lamb
2 medium onions finely chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1/2 cup of beurre manié
2/3 cup of mayonnaise
Juice of lemon
- Remove the meat from the bones, trim excess fat and cut the meat into 2 inch cubes.
- Heat a bit of oil in a large pan, add the onions and carrots and cook, stirring all the time, for 5 minutes.
- Do not brown.
- Add the meat and seal in the oil but do not let brown.
- Pour in enough hot water to cover the meat, add the salt, pepper and bouquet garni, simmer gently for 1 hour or more.
- Add the beurre manié a little at a time over the heat until a creamy sauce is obtained and the flour is cooked.
- Remove the meat and vegetable in a hot serving dish after draining the sauce from them.
- Discard the bouquet garni and place the meat in a warm serving dish. Reserve.
- Mix a little of the sauce with the homemade mayonnaise, return to the pan, mix well and add lemon juice and seasoning.
- Strain some sauce over the meat, garnish with the vegetable and sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve the rest of the sauce separately.
Garnish (cooked separately and tossed in butter)
1/2 lb of green beans
1/2 lb of carrots
- Beat 2 egg yolks with 1 tsp of Dijon mustard and a dash of white pepper.
- Drip about 1 cup of olive oil in this mixture, slowly at the beginning and faster when it starts to thicken.
- Add 2 Tbsp of lemon and some salt.
- 1/4 cup of butter worked together with 1/2 cup of flour.