4 cups of dry white wine
1 Tbsp of fresh rosemary and 1 Tbsp of thyme
2 Tbsp of shallots
1 Tbsp of garlic
3 lbs of mussels
Fish stock (about 2 cups)
1 cup of whipping cream
pinch of saffron
salt and pepper
- Reduce 4 cups of dry white wine with the herbs, shallots and garlic by about 1/3.
- Wash 3 lbs of mussels.
- Discard all the ones that are open and look brownish.
- Steam them in the reduced wine broth for 5 minutes.
- Strain the liquid and let it rest.
- Reserve the mussels after discarding the shells.
- Slowly pour the wine‑mussel liquid in a saucepan.
- Discard the bottom part that may contain sand.
- Add some fish stock (about half the quantity of the remaining wine‑mussel liquid).
- Add whipping cream and the saffron.
- Season to taste.
- Cook gently to warm it up.
- Add some whole mussels and serve.