Ingredients to serve 12.
2 acorn squash (about 2 pounds each)
2 butternut squash (about 2 pounds each)
4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
8 teaspoons dark brown sugar
4 carrots, peeled and halved
2 large onions, thinly sliced
10 cups chicken stock or 2 large cans of chicken broth (low sodium)
1-2 tsp of ground ginger
1 Tbsp of curry
salt to taste
Crème fraîche prepared a day ahead:
1 1/2 cups of cream
1/2 cup of sour cream
- Prepare the crème fraîche a day ahead by mixing the ingredients together.
- Let it stand at room temperature for 6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Cut the four squash in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out and discard the seeds.
- Place the squash halves, skin side down, in a shallow roasting pan.
- Place ½ tablespoon of the butter and 1 teaspoon of the brown sugar in the cavity of each squash half.
- Arrange the carrots and onion slices around the squash.
- Pour 4 cups of the stock in the pan, cover it tightly with aluminum foil, and bake for 2 hours.
- Remove pan from the oven and allow the vegetables to cool slightly.
- Scoop squash pulp out of the skins and puree in the food processor, along with the carrots, onions, and the cooking liquid until smooth.
- Add the remaining cups of chicken stock and the ginger, curry, and salt.
- Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of crème fraîche, stir well.
- Serve each portion garnished with a dollop of crème fraîche.