Assemble and measure all ingredients before starting. Work quickly.
For one cup (about 40 puffs)
1-1/2 Tbsp of all purpose flour
1-1/2 Tbsp of cornstarch
1/3 cup of sugar
2 large egg yolks
2 Tbsp of butter
1 cup of milk
1 Tbsp of rum or Cognac
For 4 cups (160 puffs)
6 Tbsp of all purpose flour
6 Tbsp of cornstarch
1-1/3 cup of sugar
8 large egg yolks
8 Tbsp of butter
4 cups of milk
4 Tbsp of rum or Cognac
- Sift flour in 2 quart mixing bowl.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolk slightly with a fork.
- Knead 2 Tbsp of butter with the heel of your hand and reserve.
- In a 2 1/2 quart saucepan bring the milk to a boil.
- Pour half the milk in the flour bowl and beat quickly until smooth.
- Add the egg and blend well.
- Pour this mixture into the remaining milk.
- Bring back to the boil if necessary.
- Cook for 30 seconds or until thick.
- Cool by putting bottom of pan in cold water, continue beating.
- When just warm, add rum.
- Whisk in the butter and mix until incorporated.
- Cover and refrigerate.