f2 1/2 cups of warm water
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp salt
1 package of dry yeast
5 or 6 cups flour (unbleached King Arthur)
1 egg white
- Mix the first 4 ingredients.
- Add the first 5 cups of flour and form into a ball.
- Depending on the consistency, slowly add the remaining flour.
- The dough should not be sticky.
- Knead for about 7 minutes.
- Let rise until double in bulk.
- Push down and let rise again.
- Cut into four parts and roll each piece into a baguette.
- Put into the bread mold and let rise above the rim.
- Cook at 450°F for 15 minutes then reduce to 350°F for another 20 minutes.
- Unmold immediately and let cool.