From the Ann Howard Cookery.
2 tsp olive oil
tsp tomato paste
1 onion coarsely chopped
1 carrot chopped
1 stalk celery chopped
1 clove garlic minced
4 cups fish stock
1/4 tsp saffron
1/4 tsp anise seeds
salt and pepper
- Heat oil in stockpot and sweat vegetables on low heat for 5 minutes or until a bit brown.
- Add the water and wine, bring to boil in the covered pan, then uncovered and reduce the heat.
- Add tomato paste, fish stock, saffron, anise seed and salt, pepper and bouquet garni.
- Bring to boil and simmer slowly for 20 minutes, skimming the surface.
- Mash vegetables & fish to extract the flavors.
- Strain the broth though a cheesecloth.
- Reduce to concentrate the flavors.
- Cut 6 slices of French bread and rub with garlic.
- Sauté slices in 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
Serve atop garlic bread in hot soup bowls.