There are many variations of this salad, but the classic one has only the ingredients listed below. Principally a spring or summer salad, it uses the freshest raw vegetables when they are ripe and abundant.
6 ripe but firm tomatoes
1 cucumber, partly peeled and sliced
1 head of Boston lettuce or Bibb or red leaf
1/2 lb of fresh lima beans (don’t use if not fresh)
6 small purple artichokes (or marinated artichokes)
1 fennel bulb, sliced in ¼ inch strips
2 green peppers (Italian preferably) seeded and sliced
1 spanish onion, sliced
a handful of radishes
4 hard boiled eggs, cut in half lengthwise
10 anchovy fillets
handful of small black olives
Chapons (stale bread brushed with garlic)
fresh basil, garlic
- Wash and quarter the tomatoes, salt lightly and drain for 10 minutes.
- Peel and slice the cucumber, drain on paper towel for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the other vegetables and the eggs, anchovy fillets and olives.
- Prepare the chapons.
- To make the vinaigrette, mix 1 part vinegar and 3 parts olive oil. Add the garlic and the basil.
- Arrange the vegetables on a shallow dish, surround with lettuce leaves and chapons. Pour the vinaigrette over it.
- Toss gently just before serving.