2 lb of beef for stew
2 Tbsp of flour
1 cup of red wine
1 cup of stock (or water)
2 cloves of garlic
2 tsp of tomato paste
salt and pepper
4 oz of salt pork, cut into lardons
12 small white onions, peeled
2 cups of mushrooms, sliced
- Heat the vegetable oil and brown the meat on all sides.
- Discard the oil.
- Deglaze with some stock or water.
- Put the meat in a large pan and sprinkle with the flour.
- Stir until brown.
- Add the wine, stock or water, garlic, tomato paste, salt and pepper.
- Fry the salt pork in a clean pan until fat runs from it, then add the onions and brown them.
- Discard the fat and add the lardons and onions to the meat.
- Cook over gentle heat for 2-½hours.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Arrange on a hot serving dish and sprinkle with parsley.