This is a very simple and inexpensive stew which is better done at least a day ahead.
2 Tbsp of olive oil
2 onions, sliced
3 lb of lamb shoulder cut in large pieces
10 carrots, sliced
4 potatoes, sliced
1 can of italian tomatoes
1 cup of white wine
1 Tbsp of Herbes de Provence
salt and pepper
garlic and parsley
green olives (optional)
2 10 ounce packages of mushrooms
- In a large covered casserole heat the oil and sweat the onions.
- In the meantime, brown the pieces of meat in a large skillet.
- Add the meat to the casserole and deglaze the skillet with the white wine.
- Add the resulting liquid to the casserole as well. Sprinkle the Herbes de Provence on the meat.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, herbs, garlic and parsley.
- Cover with the tomatoes.
- Cook for 1 hour without stirring.
- In the meantime, cook the mushrooms.
- Season and reserve.
- After 1 hour of cooking, add the mushrooms (and the green olives).
- Cook for another 20 minutes or until all the vegetables are tender.