To serve 4.
3 lb frying chicken, cut up
4 Tbsp of vegetable oil
16 peeled small white onions
4 Tbsp of unsalted butter
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 bay leaves
1 Tbsp of lemon juice
1 nine-ounce package of frozen artichoke hearts, defrosted and drained
1/2 cup of chicken stock
- In a heavy skillet, brown the chicken in the oil a few pieces at a time.
- As the pieces becomes a rich golden brown, remove them to a plate.
- Discard the fat in the skillet and add 2 Tbsp of butter.
- Add the onions and cook them as lightly and evenly as possible for a few minutes.
- Return the chicken to the skillet.
- Season with salt and pepper, throw in the bay leaves and cook slowly for 1/2 hour, basting occasionally.
- Meanwhile melt the remaining 2 Tbsp of butter in another skillet and add the lemon.
- Put the artichoke hearts in and toss them in the lemon butter until they are coated.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add to the skillet with the chicken 15 minutes before the end of cooking.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and arrange on a warm plate with the onions and artichoke hearts around it.
- Discard the bay leaves.
- Pour the chicken stock in the skillet and deglaze.
- Boil down until the sauce is reduced to a syrupy consistency.
- Pour over the chicken and serve at once.