To serve 4.
3 Tbsp butter
6 peppercorns, lightly crushed
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 Tbsp of wine vinegar
1 Tbsp of stock
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1/2 cup of unsalted butter
1 tsp of finely chopped tarragon
- For the sauce Béarnaise, place the peppercorns, shallot and vinegar in a small pan and reduce by half.
- Add the stock and drain into a bowl holding the lightly beaten egg yolks.
- Mix well and place the bowl over a pan of hot water and whisk continuously until the eggs thicken.
- Beat in the butter a little at a time. Do not allow the sauce to get too warm or it may curdle.
- When the butter has been added, stir in the tarragon, taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the butter for the tournedos in a heavy pan, and fry the tournedos allowing 1 or 2 minutes on each side, according to thickness and taste.
- Place each on a croûte, arrange on a hot serving dish.
- Garnish with watercress.