This charlotte should be prepared the day before it is served.
2 envelopes of gelatine
1/2 cup of cold water
1/2 cup of boiling water
6 eggs separated
8 Tbsp of whiskey (small ½ cup)
1 cup of sugar
1 tsp of lemon juice
1 pint of whipping cream
3 pkg. of lady fingers, split
- Soak gelatine in cold water for a few minutes, add boiling water and dissolve.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and pale yellow (about 3 minutes).
- Add whiskey very slowly.
- Beat in the sugar and add lemon juice.
- Stir in the gelatine and chill a short time (until it barely starts to set).
- Whip the cream and fold it in the egg mixture.
- Beat the egg whites to the soft peak stage and fold it in also.
- Line the side and bottom of a 12″ spring pan with split lady fingers.
- Pour the whiskey mixture in it and cover the top with lady fingers.
- Chill in refrigerator overnight.
- Powder the top with confectioner’s sugar and unmold before serving.
You can make a lemon charlotte by replacing the whisky with 9 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons), and just 1½ cups of cream instead of a pint. Use a 10” spring pan.