- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Fill a pastry bag (fitted with 1/2 inch tube) with the pâte à choux.
- Lightly grease and flour a baking pan and pipe small puffs into it.
- Brush egg wash on top and slightly smooth the puffs.
- Bake in upper third of oven for 15 minutes without opening the oven.
- Turn oven off after the initial 15 minutes and leave the puffs for another 10 minutes with the door slightly ajar.
- Let cool and fill as desired.
Assemble and measure all ingredients before starting. Work quickly. For one cup:
1 1/2 Tbsp of all purpose flour
1 1/2 Tbsp of cornstarch
1/3 cup of sugar
2 large egg yolks
2 Tbsp of butter
1 cup of milk
1 Tbsp of rum or Cognac
- Sift flour in 2 quart mixing bowl.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolk slightly with a fork.
- Knead 2 Tbsp of butter with the heel of your hand and reserve.
- In a 2 1/2 quart saucepan bring the milk to a boil.
- Pour 1/2 the milk in the flour bowl and beat quickly until smooth.
- Add the egg yolks and blend well.
- Pour this mixture into the remaining milk (bring back to the boil if necessary) and cook for 30 seconds or until thick.
- Cool by putting bottom of pan in cold water. Continue beating.
- When just warm, add rum.
- Whisk in the butter and mix until incorporated.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Bring 1/4 cup of water with 1/2 cup of sugar to a boil.
- Let it boil until it reaches a nice brown color.
- Use immediately.
Assembling the croquembouche
- Fill each puff with the pastry cream using a pastry bag with a small tube.
- Use the caramel to glue the small puffs together as you build a pyramid.