1 1/2 cup of flour
1 stick of chilled butter cut into pieces
3 Tbsp of Crisco
1/2 tsp. of salt, pinch of sugar in 1/3 cup of iced water (for sweet dough 1 tsp of sugar, pinch of salt)
- Place flour, butter and Crisco in a large mixing bowl. Rub flour and Crisco together until it resembles coarse meal.
- Pour water in flour and blend. All the steps above can be done at once in a food processor.
- Then do a final blending with the heal of the hand on board or marble (fraisée).
- Press into a small ball, sprinkle with flour and let rest for at least two hours.
- Roll the dough. Gently press it in a pan to avoid air bubbles. Cover with foil and spread some weight on it.
- Precook for 8 to 10 minutes at 450°F
8 Barlett or Bosc pears, peeled and quartered
1/2 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of flour
1/4 cup of crystalized ginger
3 Tbsp of lemon juice, 2 tsp of grated lemon ring
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- Mix together all ingredients except the pears.
- Make the egg wash (1 egg and a bit of water).
- Roll out the dough. Make the bottom part a little higher on the side than the pan. Cut the top a little wider than the size of the pie. Refrigerate.
- Prepare the mix and blend in the pears to coat them thoroughly.
- Arrange the pears in the shell. Spread the remaining mix over them.
- Dot with 2 Tbsp of butter.
- Cover with the top of the dough and seal the edges with a little bit of water on the dough.
- Egg wash the top.
- Decorate with the teeth of a fork.
- Slit the dough for the steam to escape.
- Cook at 450°F for 15 minutes. Reduce to 375°F and cook for another 40 minutes or until brown.