Although it takes a long time to prepare the puff pastry, the pie itself is quick and easy to make. Once shaped, the crust can be frozen. Bake the tart just before eating for the best results.
Puff pastry with 4 turns
1 lb of white and black grapes, washed, dried and cut in half
1 egg yolk
1 1/4 cups of milk
1/3 generous cup of sugar
2 small Tbsp of flour
2 Tbsp of powdered hazelnuts
1 tsp of vanilla
- Sprinkle flour on a pastry surface and rolling pin.
- Roll out the puff pastry to a 17×14 rectangle.
- Trim evenly around all 4 edges with a knife using a ruler to guide you.
- Freeze for 20 minutes to firm up the dough.
Prepare the filling
- Pulverize the shelled hazelnuts in the food processor.
- In a saucepan, boil the milk and add the vanilla.
- Separate the eggs.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar until pale yellow.
- Add the flour and the hazelnuts.
- Pour the boiled milk on the egg yolks mixture and mix well.
- Pour back in the saucepan and cook on a medium heat until it thickens. Let cool.
- Beat one egg white and fold in the cream.
- Roll out the dough into a 11″ square.
- Cut four 3/4″ wide strips and 11″ long.
- Brush cold water around the edges of the 11″ square dough and stick the strips to all sides overlapping on the corners.
- Prick the bottom of the tart shell all over. Refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Line the inside of the shell with foil and add some weight to keep the dough from bubbling. Be careful not to touch the sides so they can rise freely, but get very close to it.
- Brush milk on top of the strips.
- Bake on middle shelf of the oven for 15 minutes.