1 cup of tepid water
2 Tbsp of all purpose flour
1 Tbsp of yeast
8 Tbsp of unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups of flour
3 Tbsp of sugar, pinch of salt
- Heat 1 cup of milk until warm.
- In a glass measuring cup pour 1/4 cup of milk.
- Add and mix 1 Tbsp of yeast in the milk with 2 Tbsp of flour.
- Let stand for 20 minutes, covered, or double in volume. This is the sponge.
- Cream 8 Tbsp of butter.
- In a food processor, fitted with the steel blade, put in about 2 1/4 cups of flour, 3 Tbsp of sugar and the salt.
- Pour in the remaining milk, the egg, the sponge and the soft butter. Process for 20 seconds.
- Dump the mixture in a pastry surface and knead slightly with a bit of flour.
- Transfer the dough to a 2 quart bowl. Cover and let double in size in a warm place.
- Then gently press it down and knead a minute.
- Cover once more and refrigerate at least 4 hours or until the butter is stiff once more in the dough.
- Grease a 12-inch or larger pizza pan and pat the dough into it.
- Brush milk over the dough and let rise for about 1 hour in a warm place.
- Preheat oven 375°F.
- Combine 3 Tbsp of sugar and 2 Tbsp of milk in a pan and bring it to a boil until it thickens slightly.
- Brush the milk glaze over the risen dough and bake in the middle shelf for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Slice like a sandwich with a bread knife and spread the pastry cream on top of the bottom piece of the cake.
- Place the top over it. Sprinkle powdered sugar over top.
1 2/3 cups milk & 1 tsp of vanilla extract
4 large egg yolks
1/4 cup of granulated sugar
1/3 cup of flour
2 Tbsp of crystalized ginger, chopped – 2 Tbsp of butter
- Scald the milk, add vanilla.
- Meanwhile stir egg yolks and gradually add sugar until the mixture turns pale yellow.
- Add the flour.
- Slowly add the hot milk, stirring constantly.
- Pour in a saucepan and bring slowly to boiling. Work very fast to avoid lumps.
- Let cool slightly and add the crystalized ginger and the butter.