1 lb of sea scallops
3/4 cup of dry vermouth
2 cups of sliced mushrooms
1/2 tsp of salt, white pepper
bay leaf, 2 Tbsp of shallots
3 Tbsp of butter
4 Tbsp of flour
1 cup of hot scallop liquid
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup of heavy cream, salt, pepper
lemon juice and swiss cheese
- In a saucepan put the scallops (cleaned and muscle removed), the vermouth, mushrooms, salt, white pepper, bay leaf and shallots.
- Bring to a boil and turn the heat down to simmer gently for about 5 minutes
- Drain the liquid and boil it town to about a cup. Keep the mushrooms and scallops warm.
- Prepare the sauce by making a roux with the butter and flour.
- Gently add the cup of hot liquid from the scallops and add some milk to achieve the right consistency.
- Mix the egg yolks and cream together and add to the sauce
- Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice, if desired
- Put the mixture in a small plate or shell. Sprinkle some swiss cheese and dot with butter.
- Put under the broiler until just slightly brown and serve immediately.