To serve 4.
12 large sea scallops
1 Tbsp of olive oil
3 large tomatoes, peeled, cored and chopped
1/2 cup of fresh basil leaves, minced
pinch of thyme
1 large clove of garlic
salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a heavy skillet cook the tomatoes until just tender.
- Add the garlic, basil and thyme.
- Cook gently to blend in the flavors.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Keep warm while cooking the scallops.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil until hot but not sizzling.
- Pull out and discard the small muscle attached to some of the scallops.
- Add the scallops.
- Cook until almost opaque all the way through, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Season the scallops with salt and pepper.
- Place 3 scallops on each of 4 warmed dinner plates. Cover with the tomato mixture.
- Serve right away.