For a 6 cup mold (4-6 servings):
2 Tbsp and 1/2 of butter
3 Tbsp of flour
1 cup of milk
pepper, salt, nutmeg
4 eggs (separated) & 1 egg white
1/4 cup of fresh swiss cheese, grated
1/2 cup of spinach
For an 8 cup mold (6-8 servings):
3 1/2 Tbsp of butter
4 1/2 Tbsp of flour
1 1/2 cup of milk
6 eggs separated & 1 egg white
1/2 cup of cheese
3/4 cup of spinach
- Preheat oven at 400°F
- Butter a soufflé dish
- Bring the milk to a boil
- In another pan melt the butter, mix in the flour on medium heat. This is a roux.
- Add salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Slowly add milk to the roux and bring it to a boil, cook for a few minutes (this is a béchamel).
- Let it cool.
- In the meantime cook the spinach (washed and with the ribs taken off) and squeeze it dry.
- Add to the béchamel and also mix into it the egg yolks one at a time, then the cheese.
- Beat the egg whites to a soft peak stage and gently fold in the spinach mixture.
- Pour into the soufflé mold.
- Cook in preheated oven, turned down at 375°F, for 20 minutes.