To serve 6.
1/4 cup of oil (or mixture of oil and butter)
3 lb of chicken pieces
24 small white onions peeled
2 Tbsp of flour
1 cup of dry Vouvray wine
1-1/2 cups of water
Salt, freshly ground pepper
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
3 sprigs of fresh tarragon
2 cups of mushrooms sliced
3 egg yolks
3 Tbsp of cream
2 Tbsp of brandy
- Heat the oil and butter in a large pan, add the chicken pieces and turn them until they are sealed.
- Do not allow them to brown.
- Remove the chicken to a large saucepan that can go in the oven and reserve.
- Add the small onions to the pan.
- Cover with a lid and cook over a gentle heat until slightly brown.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Discard the oil, add a bit of butter to the pan and the flour. Mix well.
- Then, pour the wine and water and return to the heat until the sauce thickens.
- Drain this liquid into the large saucepan with the chicken.
- Add the salt, pepper, bouquet garni, garlic, tarragon and bring to a boil.
- Replace the chicken, add the mushrooms, cover with the lid and simmer in the oven for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Arrange the chicken in a warm platter and keep in turn off oven.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the cream and brandy.
- Pour a little of the hot liquid in which the chicken was cooked into the cream mixture and mix well.
- Return to the pan and thicken over a low heat. Do not allow to boil.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Arrange the onions and mushrooms at each end of the dish, strain the sauce over the chicken and serve.