Serves 4 to 6 people.
French bread, sliced, cooked in the oven at 300°F for 20 min. and brushed with olive oil.
12 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
4-1/2 lb roasting chicken
salt and pepper
1 or 2 cups of chicken stock
2 Tbsp of butter
10 oz of spinach, cooked and drained
1 cup of sliced mushrooms, cooked
1/2 cup of bread crumbs moistened with cream
1 onion sautéed in butter (lightly cook the chicken liver in it)
thyme, salt and pepper
6 cloves of garlic, parboiled
- Prepare the various elements of the stuffing as indicated above.
- Mix the first 4 ingredients together then add the egg and the herbs.
- Mince the garlic and add to the mixture.
- Dry the chicken and season the cavity with salt and pepper.
- Put the stuffing in and truss the chicken.
- Over medium to high heat, brown the chicken until all sides are golden (about 20 minutes).
- Turn the chicken breast side up in a baking pan and add the 12 cloves of garlic.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Pour 1/2 cup of water into the pan and place in a 325°F oven, uncovered.
- Baste the chicken every 20 minutes and cook for 2 hours.
- At the end the skin should be brown and crisp.
- Add chicken stock when necessary.
- Remove the chicken to a carving platter.
- Cut it up and place it around the stuffing in the middle of the pan.
- In the meantime deglaze the cooking juice with some extra chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil and reduce.
- Whisk 2 Tbsp of butter at the end.
- Moisten the chicken with the sauce.
- Serve at once.