1-1/2 lb of lean pork
1/2 lb of pork fat
1 tsp peppercorns, coarsely crushed
Salt and pepper
Pinch of grated nutmeg
Small sausage casings
- Work the lean and fat pork through the coarse plate of a mincer or grinder.
- Add the peppercorns, salt, pepper and nutmeg and mix well.
- Chill overnight so the spices blend.
- Saute a small piece of the mixture and taste for seasoning.
- Soak the casings in cold water for several hours; rinse them with cold water, letting the water run through them.
- Tie one end of the casing and attach the open end to the base of a fennel or sausage stuffer.
- Push the casing up the fennel until the closed end is reached.
- Work the sausage filling through the fennel into the casing, letting the casing fall as the stuffing fills it.
- Don’t pack casing too tightly, or it will burst during cooking.
- When a length of casing is stuffed, tie the end closed with string.
- Prick any air pocket in the sausages with a small pin.
- To serve, brush with butter and grill/broil; alternatively poach in water for 10 minutes and drain thoroughly.