For 6 to 8 people.
A 1-1/2 quart cylindrical mold is good for this recipe. Make a crêpe batter for 10 large crêpes and 10 small ones.
Makes about three cups.
4 Tbsp butter
5 Tbsp flour
2 1/2 cups of boiling milk
salt, pepper, nutmeg
1 cup of coarsely grated gruyère and some whipping cream
- Cook the flour and butter together.
- Beat in the boiling milk and seasonings and boil.
- Remove from heat and add the cheese.
- Film top of sauce with cream to prevent a skin from forming.
2 packages of fresh spinach (10 ounces) cooked and drained
1/2 cup of Mornay sauce.
1 cup of cottage cheese
1 package of mushrooms (10 ounces) minced & cooked in skillet with shallots & butter & 1/2 cup of Mornay sauce.
1 cup of leftover chicken pieces, well seasoned and mixed with 1/2 cup of Mornay sauce
2 cups of mozzarella
Forming the timbale
- Butter the mold.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut the 10 large crêpes in half and line the mold with them.
- One pointed end at the bottom center of the mold and the other folded down outside the mold.
- Fill the mold with alternating layers of stuffing and crêpes.
- Fold the dangling ends of the halves crêpes over the last layer of stuffing and top with a final crêpe.
- Set mold in a pan of boiling water and bake in lower third of oven for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Unmold on a buttered serving dish and cover with the remaining Mornay sauce.