8 oz. of chocolate
1 cup of sugar
7 oz. of unsalted butter (14 Tbsp)
3/4 cup of powdered almonds
1/2 tsp of baking soda
3 Tbsp of cornstarch
- Butter a 9 inch mold and sprinkle with sugar.
- Preheat oven at 400°F.
- Soften butter at room temperature.
- Mix all dry ingredients (almonds, baking soda, corn starch).
- Separate the eggs.
- Beat egg yolks with sugar until it forms the ruban.
- Melt chocolate with 2 Tbsp of water in a double boiler and add to the egg yolks.
- Add the dry ingredients.
- Add the softened butter.
- Beat the egg whites to the soft peak stage (with a pinch of salt)
- Fold gently in the chocolate mixture.
- Fill 3/4 of the mold and cook at 375°F for 25 to 30 minutes.
- This cake must cook quickly to keep the center moist. Leave in the mold for a while.
- Unmold and cool completely before glazing.
6 oz of chocolate
3/4 cup of whipping cream
- On a small pan melt the chocolate in the cream and bring to a boil.
- Let cool to lukewarm before using.
1/2 cup of confectioner sugar
1/3 of a egg white
drops of lemon
- Combine the sugar, egg white and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Work the mixture with a wooden spoon until smooth and creamy enough to form a ribbon.
- The cake is first glazed with chocolate then decorated with the glace royale (icing) while the glazing is still soft.
- Place some icing in a paper cornet.
- Cut the tip and draw lines on the surface of the glaze.
- Stoke the lines with the blade of a knife.