This is a simple dessert to make. Yet it can look very sophisticated when served in large glasses. The pears should be ripe for good flavor but firm to hold their shape while cooking.
1 cup granulated sugar
4 fresh pears, pared, halved, and cored
4 egg yolks
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
1/4 cup sherry
3/4 cup heavy cream
- In 4-quart saucepan, combine granulated sugar and 3 cups water; heat to melt sugar.
- Add the pears, cover and simmer gently until tender – about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Refrigerate pears in their syrup several hours.
- Make Sauce:
- In top of double boiler, with rotary beater or wire whisk, beat egg yolks, confectioners’ sugar and sherry until light in color.
- Place over hot, not boiling, water; water should not touch bottom of double boiler top.
- Cook, stirring constantly, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Refrigerate 3 hours. Mixture thickens. Mix it well again as it separates a bit.
- In medium bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form when beater is raised.
- Carefully fold in chilled sauce.
- Drain pears. Serve topped with sauce.