1 3/4 c unbleached flour
1/3 c whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 c of shortening
5 Tbsp butter
1 egg and sugar for brushing
- Blend flours and salt with a pastry blender: cut in butter and shortening until small uniform crumb size.
- Stir in 3 1/2 to 4 Tbsp water with a fork.
- With hands, push together into two equal size balls.
- Cover and let sit while preparing filling.
Northern Spy apples are hard to find – they are a combination of Northern Spy and Cortland.
5 large Northern Spy apples, peeled and sliced thin
3/4 c of sugar
1 tsp of cinnamon
3 Tbsp of flour
2 tsp freshly grated orange peel
1 Tbsp butter
- Mix sugar, flour, cinnamon and orange peel together thoroughly.
- Roll out bottom crust between two sheets of waxed paper and place it in a 9-inch ceramic pie plate.
- Layer apples in spiral in crust, sprinkling with sugar mixture and dotting with butter as you go.
- Roll out top crust and place over apples, trim and crimp edges.
- Brush with egg beaten with 2 tsp of sugar.
- Make slits in crust.
- Bake at 400 F for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 F and bake 25 to 30 minutes or longer – until nicely browned.