For 6 cup mold.
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup orange liqueur
1/2 tsp vanilla
6 egg whites, salt
1/2 cup sugar
4 Tbsp orange juice and the zest of an orange
- Put the egg yolks in a mixer bowl. Set aside.
- Mix the orange juice, zest and sugar in a saucepan and boil to the soft ball stage (230°F).
- Immediately pour the syrup in a thin stream into the egg yolks, beating vigorously with the mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Add the liqueur and vanilla, return to the saucepan, and heat, beating with the whisk, for a good 2 minutes to slightly thicken the mixture.
- Remove from the heat and continue to beat until cool. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they are stiff but not dry.
- Fold the whites into the yolk mixture gently.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Prepare a soufflé mold with butter and sprinkle with sugar.
- Fill the mold two thirds full with the soufflé mixture.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- After 8 minutes dredge the soufflé with confectioner’s sugar and return to oven.
- Do it again a few minutes later.
- Remove from the oven after the sugar has caramelized.
- Serve at once.