1 pâte brisée for a 9 inch ring mold
1 can of apricot halves in their own juices (drained and pat dry)
2 Granny Smith apples
3/4 cup of sugar
1 1/3 cup of almonds (processed until fine in the food processor)
3/4 cup of cream (crème fraîche is a good substitute)
1/2 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of water
- Peel, core and dice the apples.
- Make the caramel:
- Put the sugar in a medium size sauce pan.
- Add the water and cook until it comes to a boil.
- Let it reduce until it reaches a golden brown color.
- Then drop the apples in the saucepan and let them cook until tender.
- The caramel will dissolve with the help of the juice from the apples.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the apricot halves on the bottom of the pie shell. Add the caramelized apples.
- In a bowl mix together the eggs, the cream, the sugar and the almonds.
- Pour this mixture over the apricots and apples and cook for 1 hour or until brown on top.
1 cup of bleached flour
1/2 cup of cake flour
1 stick of butter & 3 Tbsp cut into pieces
1 tsp of sugar and a pinch of salt in 1/3 cup of iced water
- Place flour and butter in a large mixing bowl.
- Rub flour and butter together until it resembles coarse meal.
- Pour water in and blend lightly.
- All the steps above can be done in the food processor, but use frozen butter.
- Do a final blending with the heel of the hand on board or marble.
- Press into a small ball, sprinkle with flour and let rest for at least 2 hours.
- Roll the dough.
- Gently press it in a pan to avoid air bubbles.
- Cover with foil and spread some weight on it.
- Precook 8 to 10 minutes at 450°F.