3 cups of all purpose flour
2 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1 egg & 1 egg yolk
- Combine ingredients in a bowl and work until it holds together.
- Place on the counter and smear the mixture with the palm of your hand a few times.
- Divide into 2 pieces. Refrigerate.
- Roll into a 10 inch round about 1/4 inch thick.
- Place in preheated oven at 400°F for 12 to 15 minutes.
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup of sugar
4 Tbsp of pastry flour
a pinch of grated orange peel
1 1/2 cups of orange juice
4 Tbsp of sweet butter
1 Tbsp of Cointreau
8 California navel oranges for the decoration (skin of each wedge removed)
- Beat the yolks and the sugar until pale yellow (about 5 minutes).
- Add the pastry flour, the orange peel and finally the orange juice in a continuous stream.
- Transfer the mixture to a 3 1/2 quart saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until the mixture becomes very thick (about 10 minutes).
- Cool the pan in cold water and continue mixing.
- Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate.
- Cream 4 Tbsp of butter with the heel of your hand to soften it and whisk into the orange custard a little at a time.
- Add the Cointreau.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate.
Assembling the tart
- Fill the tart shell with the orange custard.
- Just before serving, arrange the wedges in concentric circles to make a sunburst design.