Pâte à choux
1 egg yolk & 1 tsp of water
3 oz of blanched almonds, sliced
- Butter a cookie sheet, sprinkle with flour and shake off excess.
- Using a 8 inches pie or cake pan, trace a circle on the cookie sheet.
- Preheat oven 425°F.
- With a pastry bag, fitted with a round 1/2 inch tip, squeeze out on the cookie sheet two rings for a base and another one on top.
- Wet your fingers to smooth out any problem with the paste.
- With the remaining paste make some small puffs.
- Combine egg yolk and water and brush this “dorure” on top of the ring and the small puffs.
- Sprinkle the ring with almonds.
- Bake 30 minutes on middle rack of oven. Prick to let steam escape.
- Turn off the oven – Return to oven for 5 to 10 minutes (door ajar)
- Cool on wire rack.
- Cut the crown in the middle. Cut evenly all around.
Crème St. Honoré
1 2/3 cups milk
1 tsp of vanilla extract
4 large egg yolks
1/4 cup of granulated sugar
1/3 cup of flour
1 cup of whipping cream & 2 Tbsp of sugar
- Scald the milk, add vanilla.
- Meanwhile stir egg yolks and gradually add sugar until the mixture turns pale yellow.
- Add the flour.
- Slowly add the hot milk, stirring constantly.
- Pour in a saucepan and bring slowly to boiling. Work very fast to avoid lumps.
- Let cool slightly and spoon into the bottom part of the pâte à choux.
- Whip the cream until stiff and add the sugar.
- Put the whipped cream in a pastry bag and cover the Crême St Honoré.
- Gently put back the top of the pâte à choux.
- Cut the ring in the middle.
- Use tooth picks to keep track of the right fitting.
- Fill with the cream.
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar.