To serve 4.
3 eggs separated
1/2 cup of superfine sugar & 1 tsp of vanilla sugar
2 1/2 cups of milk
small 1/2 cup of sugar
1 tsp of cornstarch
- Whisk the egg whites until they are stiff and fold in 1/2 cup of the sugar and vanilla sugar.
- Heat the milk in a deep skillet, bring to simmering point.
- Using 2 tablespoons, form the egg whites into egg shapes and drop into the milk.
- Poach for about 8-10 minutes or until firm, then remove and drain on kitchen paper.
- Put the egg yolks with the remaining small 1/2 cup of sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Beat for 2 or 3 minutes until the mixture forms the ribbon.
- Beat in the cornstarch.
- Pour on 1 1/4 cups of the milk used for poaching the meringues.
- Return to a clean pan and stir over gentle heat until it thickens without boiling.
- Remove from the heat, strain into a shallow dish and place the meringues on top.
- Serve very cold.