1 envelope of gelatine
1/2 lb of large pitted prunes, soaked in 1 cup of red wine
2 Tbsp of apricot jam
1 cup of Uncle Ben rice
2 1/4 cups of milk + 1/4 cup for gelatine
1 Tb of vanilla extract
6 Tbsp of sugar
1 1/4 cups of cream
- Brush a ring mold very lightly with oil.
- Soak the gelatine in a scant 1/4 cup of cold water.
- Place the prunes and wine in a small saucepan and cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Mix the prunes with apricot jam.
- Place the rice in a pan of boiling water and cook for 5 minutes, drain.
- In another saucepan, warm the milk and pour in the rice.
- Cook until tender for about 25 minutes.
- Stir in the sugar and the vanilla extract.
- Heat 1/4 cup of milk and dissolve the gelatine.
- Add it to the rice mixture. Let cool.
- Whisk the cream until it forms soft peaks, fold into the rice mixture and pour into the prepared mold.
- Chill until firm.
- Unmold carefully unto a serving dish and fill the center with the prunes.
- Serve very cold.