This recipe is the AIP Pizza crust from the Autoimmune Wellness website, and it’s supposed to serve 3-4 people as a pizza crust. But I use it primarily to create individually-portioned flatbread – it is so good when it is fresh and warm out of the oven! I prepare the dough ahead of time and chill it, dividing it up into smaller portions so I cook only what I need. I make 8 smaller flatbreads (about 6×6 inches) with this recipe. You can read more, see pictures, and the original recipe here.
1 packet active dry yeast
1½ cups warm water, divided
1 tablespoon honey
2 cups cassava flour
1 cup tapioca starch
1½ teaspoons sea salt
⅔ cup olive oil
- Preheat oven 500°F; if you plan to cook on a pizza stone, include that in the oven while it preheats.
- Add the yeast to a glass measuring cup with ½ cup of 115 degree water and honey. Give a quick whisk and set aside someplace warm for about 20 minutes. Once your yeast is active and ready to incorporate, it will double in size and smell yeasty.
- Combine the cassava flour, tapioca starch and salt in a large bowl and stir to. Add the olive oil and 1 cup of warm water, along with the yeast mixture. Stir until combined.
- Gently form into a ball with floured hands. Cover with a towel and set someplace warm (about 70-90 degrees is best) for about an hour to rise.
- Your dough should have risen a couple of inches, perhaps cracking and smelling yeasty.
- While the oven and baking surface are pre-heating, top the pizza on a pice of parchment paper on a flat baking sheet. First apply your sauce, then meat and vegetable toppings.
- To make a pizza crust, carefully divide the batter it into two portions, forming each into a puck and then rolling out each into an 11-inch pizza on a piece of parchment paper and adding additional cassava flour to the pin as needed.
- To make smaller flatbreads, divide each of the two portions in four, resulting in eight smaller balls of dough; each will yield a 6×6 inch flatbread when rolled and cooked.
- To cook, remove the pre-heated stone or sheet from the oven and slide the crust onto it.
- Cook for 9-10 minutes, or until just browned on the bottom of the crust.
- Cool for a few minutes before enjoying.