Yield: 6 to 8 servings
2 lb of baking potatoes
2 large onions
5 Tbsp of unsalted butter
freshly grated nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the potatoes.
- Boil and steam them until tender, drain.
- Coarsely mash with a fork, leaving a few irregular chunks.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Slice the onions.
- Melt 2 Tbsp of the butter in a large skillet, add the onions and sauté until soft and golden.
- Melt the rest of the butter in the skillet and add the potatoes, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Cook and toss the mixture about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a gratin dish, smooth the surface with a spoon and dot with the remaining butter.
- Brown lightly under the broiler.