Ingredients to serve 8 people:
3 lb of potatoes (about 8 or 9 large potatoes)
2 cups of milk
salt, pepper and nutmeg
2 Tbsp of butter
3 cloves of garlic crushed
bouquet garnis (bay leaf, thyme, parsley)
1 cup of crème fraîche
1 cup Swiss cheese
- Peel and clean the potatoes.
- Cut them into thick slices.
- In a large pan melt the butter and slightly cook the garlic in it.
- Add the potatoes.
- Put in the bouquet garnis, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and cook gently for 5 to 10 minutes
- In the meantime heat the milk and add a pinch of nutmeg.
- Pour the hot milk on the potatoes and cook slowly for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are barely tender.
- Discard the bouquet garnis.
- Take 2 oven-proof dishes and put 1/4 cup of crême fraiche at the bottom of each dish.
- With a slotted spoon divide the potatoes between the 2 dishes.
- Divide the remaining milk between the two dishes.
- Divide the rest of the crème fraîche on top of each dish and sprinkle the cheese on both.
- Put in the oven at 375°F until brown on top (about 15 to 20 minutes).