8 big winter leeks
1 Tbsp of butter
2 large onion, sliced
2 cups of chicken stock
2 Tbsp of sweet butter
2 Tbsp of flour
Salt, pepper and nutmeg
1 egg & 1/2 cup of cream
1/2 cup of grated swiss cheese
Some bread crumbs
- Keep only the white part of the leeks.
- Split them lengthwise into four parts, then cut across into 3 to 4 inch sections.
- Wash carefully and drain.
- In a medium saucepan, melt 1 Tbsp of butter and slightly brown the onions.
- Add the leeks and cover with the chicken stock. Simmer for 1/2 hour or until the leeks are tender.
- Drain the liquid, reserve the onion and leeks.
- Make a béchamel sauce: Melt the butter in a small saucepan, add the flour and slowly pour in the reserved liquid from the leeks. Add salt to taste, pepper and nutmeg.
- Bring to a boil and cook gently for a few minutes.
- Mix the cream and egg and add to the sauce.
- Grease an oven proof gratin dish and put the leeks in evenly.
- Cover with the sauce, sprinkle with the cheese and some bread crumbs.
- Cook in a 350°F oven for 1/2 hour or until golden brown on top.