1 lb of chicken livers
2/3 cup thinly sliced onions
1 clove of garlic peeled and crushed
2 bay leaves
1 cup of water
2 tsp of salt
1 1/2 cups of butter softened
2 tsp of Cognac
tomato skin, leek or scallion for decoration
1 envelope of unflavored gelatine for aspic (in 1/4 cup of cold water)
- Place the livers, onions, garlic, bay leaves, water and 1 tsp of salt in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, cover and cook at a bare simmer for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.
- Take out the solids and place them in a food processor. Retrieve the bay leaves and discard them.
- Reserve and strain the liquid. You can clarify it by cooking it with an egg white.
- Process the liver adding the butter piece by piece.
- Finally add the second teaspoon of salt, the pepper, and the Cognac.
- Process for 2 more minutes or until the mixture is creamy and smooth.
- Pour into a mold and decorate any way you want with tomato skin, leek or scallion.
- Add the prepared gelatine to the reserved liquid. Cover the decoration and let the pâté firm up in the refrigerator overnight.