Brown veal stock (fond brun de veau).
10 lb of veal bones
2 onions, quartered
2 carrots, cut in half
2 stalks of celery 1
leek, cut in half
2 tomatoes, quartered
1 bouquet garni
about 1 gallon of water.
- Preheat oven 450°F.
- Arrange the bones in a large roasting pan and brown on all sides, turning as necessary.
- Brown the carrots and onions for the last 20 minutes of the roasting time.
- Transfer to a large stockpot and add the rest of the vegetables and the bouquet garni.
- Deglaze the roasting pan with some water after discarding the fat.
- Add this liquid to the stockpot and pour in enough water to cover all the bones by about 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil.
- Then reduce and continue cooking for at least 6 hours, skimming and degreasing as necessary.
- Strain off the liquid and reduce it by half in a clean pot.
- Cool and store in covered containers or continue to reduce by half (demi‑glace) or to a syrup (glace).