Serves 4 people.
1 lb of tuna steak, cut 1 inch thick
3 Tbsp of oil (olive or peanut oil)
freshly ground pepper
20 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp of best quality red wine vinegar
- Preheat the broiler.
- Lightly brush both sides of the tuna with some oil.
- Season generously with pepper.
- Broil until the flesh begins to turn opaque, about 5 minutes per side.
- The fish should still be pink in the center.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 2 Tbsp of the oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and stir to coat with oil.
- Sauté until light golden, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and deglaze the pan, scraping up any bits that cling to the bottom.
- Sprinkle the tuna with salt.
- Transfer the fish to a warmed platter and pour the garlic sauce over all.
- Serve immediately, with a warm bowl of pipérade alongside.
6 Tbsp of olive oil
2 lb of tomatoes, peeled, cored, halved, seeded and chopped
2 medium onions, sliced
3 large green bell peppers, cored, halved, seeded & cut lengthwise into thin slices
3 garlic cloves, minced
salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large skillet, heat 2 Tbsp of oil over medium high heat.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered.
- In another skillet, heat 2 Tbsp of oil and cook the onions until lightly brown.
- Finally, in another 2 Tbsp of oil, cook the peppers until soft and tender.
- Add the onions and peppers to the tomato mixture.
- Stir in the garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, uncovered over low heat for 1 hour, stirring from time to time.
- The pipérade can be served warm or cold.