Use small trout that have been gutted and boned through the opening of the belly. The head of the fish should be left intact. Unfortunately, it is not always possible to get it that way. Do the best you can to present the fish on the plate nicely. Serve one trout per person.
1 trout (generally 10 oz each, but frozen ones can come smaller)
salt, pepper and flour
1 Tbsp of sliced almonds
slices of lemon, parsley
- Sprinkle each trout with salt and pepper and fold in half.
- Push the tail through the mouth.
- Dredge lightly in flour.
- Melt 3 Tbsp of butter in a non stick skillet and, when hot, place the fish skin side down and cook on medium to low heat for 5 or 6 minutes on each side (depending on the thickness of the trout).
- The skin should be crisp and nicely browned.
- Place the trout in a warm plate and add 1 Tbsp of sliced almonds to the drippings.
- Cook for about 1 minute or until just gold colored.
- Spoon almonds and dripping mixture over the trout.
- Sprinkle with a few drops of lemon juice and decorate with slices of lemon dipped in chopped parsley.
- Serve immediately.