For one 8″ cake serving 8 persons.
1 coffee-flavored genoise
1/3 cup of sugar
3 large eggs (1/2 cup)
1-1/2 Tbsp of butter
1/2 generous cup of flour
1 tsp of vanilla sugar
1/2 tsp of coffee extract
2 generous cups of Chantilly cream (300g)
2/3 cup hazelnuts, whole (100g)
1 cup of syrup, coffee‑flavored
1 cup generous cup of coffee‑flavored pastry cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Place eggs and sugar in a bowl and over a pot of boiling water.
- Beat for 1 minute.
- Beat in the mixer at high speed for 2 minutes then for 5 minutes at low speed.
- Clarify the butter.
- Mix flour and vanilla sugar and fold it in the egg mixture.
- Add coffee extract.
- Fold in the warm butter.
- Stop mixing as soon as everything is blended.
- Bake right away for 30 minutes in a buttered and floured pan
- Let cool for 10 minutes and turn out into a rack.
Syrup – one cup
- Place 2/3 cup of water and 1/2 cup of sugar in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cool and add flavorings (3 Tbsp of alcohol or 3 Tbsp of water with 3/4 tsp of coffee extract)
Chantilly – two cups
1 cup heavy cream whipped with 3/4 tsp of vanilla sugar.
- Place 2 cups of milk with half a vanilla bean split in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Beat 2/3 cup of sugar and 6 egg yolks together until it forms a ribbon.
- Gently stir in 4 Tbsp of flour.
- Strain the vanilla bean from hot milk and, slowly at first, add to the egg mixture.
- Pour the whole thing back into the saucepan and bring to a boil stirring constantly.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Cool in a bowl with a lump of butter brushed on the surface to keep a skin from forming.
Assembling the cake
- Prepare the génoise a day ahead, adding the coffee extract just before adding the flour.
- Whip the Chantilly cream and reserve 1 cup for decorating the cake.
- In the oven, roast the hazelnut and when browned, set aside 20 for decorating.
- Chop or pound the rest.
- Cut the genoise in 3 equal parts.
- Place one layer on a cardboard disk and brush it with the syrup.
- Add 1/2 cup of Chantilly cream to the coffee pastry cream, then add the chopped nuts.
- Cover the first layer completely with half of this cream using a spatula.
- Place a second layer on top, brush with syrup and cover with the remaining cream.
- Place the third layer of cake on top and cover the whole cake with the refrigerated Chantilly.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.